Contemporary dance is a dance style that rejects many of the strict rules of classical ballet, focusing instead on the expression of inner feelings. The choreography tends to explore new and innovative ways to move and shape the dancer’s body emphasizing creativity and expression.
What to Wear
- Form fitting t-shirts and black fitted jazz pants or shorts.
- Dance paws or bare feet.
- Tights and leotard should be worn to contemporary class.
- Dance skirts, capris, shorts, or leggings may be worn over leotards.
- Hair must be pulled back, off the neck, away from the face, and secured tightly.
- Lyrical half shoe or bare feet.
- Recreational students (and competition students at the start of the year) may purchase Capezio or Bloch brand half shoe from a dance supplier.
- Competition students will need to purchase the Balera brand half shoe directly from the studio before competition.